Photograph c. Joan Beddoe 1994
The original Court House, Barrack Street, in Supreme Court Gardens, Perth, Western Australia, 1836-37, Henry Revely.
Built of stone rubble with a stucco finish, this is the oldest surviving building in Perth. It is a small simple building with a hipped roof which was originally clad with slate. The entry portico, which was added later, is supported by pillars. It served as a church and meeting venue as well as a court house in the early days. Over the years it served many purposes including a school, immigration depot, and store. It has been fully restored, and shutters returned to the windows. It houses displays set up by the Law Society.
Reference: Williams, A.E., Western Australia, An Architectural Heritage, Williams Pioneer Publications, Perth, Western Australia, 1979, pp. 35-48.
Le Page, J.S.H., Building a State, The Story of the Public Works Department of Western Australia, 1829-1985. Water Authority of Western Australia, 1986, pp. 19-22.
Smith, Robin, illustrations; Johnson, Alan, text; Discovering Historic Australia, Viking O'Neil, 1987.
Web site, Heritage Council of Western Australia,